Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Grilled Corn & Kabobs on an Electric Outdoor Grill

I am just learning how to grill on my new electric outdoor grill, so I wanted to put in a recipe for grilled corn and kabobs.  Now, so far, I've only grilled these two things, but hey turned so amazingly yummy that I wanted to share just how easy it is to grill.  



Ingredients
Corn on the cob with husks left ON
chicken (boneless, skinless, & cubed)
pineapple, cubed
bell peppers, assorted colors, cut into squares
squash, sliced ~1 cm thick with skin ON
zucchini, sliced ~1 cm thick with skin ON
red onion, sliced into one inch chuncks
mushrooms, stemmed
Extra virgin olive oil
Poultry seasoning of your choice (I used Jamaican Jerk Chicken seasoning)
wooden skewers, soaked for 10-15 minutes

Corn
Soak corn with husks on for 15 minutes in cold water.  Dab off excess water and grill for ~15 minutes, turning occasionally until the husk is charred.  Remove husk, rub on butter (& salt if you like), and enjoy!
*Soaking the corn in water lets the corn steam perfectly inside the husk on the grill.



Kabobs
Put the cubed chicken in a ziplock freezer bag, sprinkle with EVOO and poultry seasoning and shake until well-coated.  In a separate ziplock freezer bag, do the same with the fruit and vegetables. (You don't want to mix the raw chicken with the fruit and veg with oil.)

Layer each skewer with chicken, fruit, and vegetables, leaving about a hand's length at the bottom and a couple of inches at the top.   Grill on medium-high heat for ~15-20 or until the chicken is cooked through.

Remove grilled food from your skewer by placing the tongs of your fork at the thick end of the skewer and gently sliding it down, pushing the food off in a nice line onto your plate.  Use a variety of dipping sauces to dip your grilled food in, such as teriyaki for the chicken, mushrooms, squash, and zucchini, and Asian sweet chili sauce for peppers, onion, and pineapple. 

This was my first attempt at grilling, and it went SO well!  I'm so excited!  I've always wanted to learn how to grill.  I'm sure I'll get much better at it the more I practice.  Wish me luck! =)

Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment