Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mini Chimis with Puff Pastry (baked)

I LOVE Mexican food, and my all time favorite are chimichangas.  However, as everyone knows, the ones from the restaurant have muy, muy calories and fat!  Well, this is one way to cut down on portion size and all the added fat.




Ingredients
1 puff pastry sheet (I use Pepperidge Farm)
Low-fat or fat-free shredded Mexican cheese
1 pound of lean ground beef/turkey/or chicken
1 packet of taco seasoning (I use Taco Bell)
Pico de Gallo for topping
Light sour cream for topping

Allow the puff pastry to thaw for at least 40 minutes before you use it.  
Prepare seasoned beef according to taco seasoning packet.

Cut thawed pastry into 6 equal rectangles.  Put a thin layer of shredded cheese on each rectangle, leaving about an inch at one end.  Put a thin layer of seasoned beef on top of the cheese.  Gentle roll up each pastry toward the bare end. 

Place each pastry seam-side down on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.  Add toppings.

These are perfect for dinner with the family or as appetizers for a party because they can be eaten with your hands like an egg roll!  Now you have mini chimis that are not fried and have lower fat ingredients.  Much better than filling up on the giant, deep fried, bad boys at a restaurant (although those are SO good!!).  Enjoy!!

Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment