Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blackened Fish (or chicken, shrimp, or pork)

Growing up, I thought blackened fish, chicken, and shrimp meant that the cook just burned it to a crisp.  Happily, I found out that this is not the case, AND it's super easy to make your own stock of spices for blackening your white proteins.  




Ingredients
1 small, close-able container or ziplock bag
2 tsp. ground paprika
4 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper, or to your taste
1 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2-4 tsp butter, melted

In a baggie or container, mix together all of the dry spices, mixing well.
Coat your fish, chicken, shrimp, or pork with melted butter (you can also use cooking spray).
Give each piece of protein a good coating (I didn't put enough on mine this time) of the spice mixture.

You can bake your fish or other protein in the oven on 425 for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your pieces.  Just keep an eye on them.  I like to bake mine on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

You can also grill your meats on medium low until done.  I can't wait to try this with shrimp on the grill!

I served my blackened fish on a bed of brown and wild rice (the 90 second microwave kind).  Fast, easy, and  delicious! 


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment