Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Friday, June 3, 2011

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

One of my favorite restaurants is PF Chang's, where I always order lettuce wraps to share with my pals.  They are so flavorful, and I've always wished I could make them myself.  Bon Appetit magazine published a recipe for these yummy appetizers, so I HAD to try them out!



Ingredients
16 large butter or bibb lettuce leaves
1/2 cup Asian mild sweet chili sauce (I use Maggi Taste of Asia from Kroger)
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken, minced
2 scallions, minced
2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. peanut oil 
3 medium shiitake muschrooms (~1 oz.) stemmed, minced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger (you can get this by the tube now in the refrigerated produce area)
1/4 cup unsalted, roasted cashews, chopped

Have all of your ingredients prepared in advance so that you can cook quickly over high heat.  Bon Appetit says this is the key to successful stir-fry.

Arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter. Pour chili sauce into a small bow and place on the platter with the lettuce leaves.

Mix chicken, scallions, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a medium bowl and marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.  

Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet.  Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 15 seconds before adding garlic and ginger.  Stir-fry for another 10 seconds before adding chicken mixture.  Cook, stirring often, until golden brown and cooked through, ~ 3-5 minutes.

Spoon mixture into the lettuce leaves, dividing equally.  Garnish with cashews and chili sauce, roll up the leaves, and enjoy!  *If you've never had Asian sweet chili sauce, it's WONDERFUL!!!!  It's my new favorite thing!!  :)


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment