Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Rolls with Shrimp and Nectarines

These are like spring rolls except in this version, they aren't deep-fried, so they are much healthier and lighter, perfect for a party.  They are beautiful, as well, because you can see all of the rich colors through the rice paper. 
I have to be honest.  I didn't like these at all.  Maybe it's just my personal taste.  I didn't want to waste all of the ingredients, so I made a new recipe, which I call Sweet Spiral Shrimp.  I'll post that recipe soon!

Ingredients
2 oz. of vermicelli or thin rice noodles (you can also use capellini or angel hair pasta)
Rice wine vinegar
8 sheets of rice paper
1/2 lb. medium shrimp, cooked, tails removed, deveined, and sliced in half long-ways
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 nectarine or mango, pitted, peeled, and cut into thin stips
4 scallions, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup whole cilantro leaves (or mint, if you prefer)
Sweet Chili Asian Sauce for dipping

For the Summer Rolls
Cook the noodles according to the package
instructions.  Drain and toss with a little rice wine vinegar.
Dip a sheet of rice paper into a bowl of warm water for a few seconds, just until soft and bendable.  Lay the paper on a cutting board.  In the center of the paper, place noodles, 3 or 4 shrimp halves, bell pepper strips, mango strips, scallions, and a few whole cilantro leaves.  Make sure to leave at least a 1 inch border around the edges of the rice paper.

Fold two ends of the rice paper over on each other, making a sort of long rectangle.  Now, carefully roll up the wraps starting from one of the short ends.  Roll it up tightly like a burrito.  Repeat with the other rolls, then serve with Asian Sweet Chili Sauce.

Follow me on Facebook!  Click HERE!


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment