Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grilled Bananas Foster with Vanilla Ice Cream & Melted Chocolate

It's summertime, and I love to grill out.  I've noticed more and more grilled desserts popping up on the web and on cooking shows, so I thought I would test one out myself.  This recipe was the poll winner, really, how can you go wrong with bananas, chocolate, and ice cream?  Yum!


Ingredients
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips or disks
2 medium ripe bananas
vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt

Preheat a grill over medium heat.
Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved.  Simmer until mixture thickens about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and set aside.

Cut each banana lengthwise, leaving the skin on Carefully cut a slit down the cent of each banana half, making sure not to cut all the way through the skin.  This is so you can have somewhere to insert the chocolate disks later.

Brush banana halves with butter and brown sugar sauce. Spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray and arrange the bananas, cut side down, on the pan. Grill until caramelized, about 4 minutes. Turn the bananas and grill until the skins are blackened bananas are soft and warmed through, about 5 minutes more. Baste frequently with the sauce during the cooking process. Place chocolate chips or disks along the tops of the bananas for the final two minutes of grilling so that they melt.

Remove from grill to a serving platter and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, drizzled with remaining sauce.


 


To print this recipe, click the box above.

1 comment:

  1. Those look fantastic. I love bananas, I love grilling, and needless to say, I love caramel, chocolate chips and ice cream. Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete