Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili

This is my own version, but I've pulled from different recipes I've found from over the years.


1 bag Morning Star Veggie Crumbles meal starters
1 large yellow onion (diced)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 pkg. Taco seasoning
(I use Taco Bell)
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tsp. chili powder
3 (15 oz.) can black beans
(I use Bush's seasoned black beans) drained & rinsed
2 (14.5 oz.) cans of petite diced tomatoes
(I use Del Monte diced zesty chili style)
1 (14 oz.) can low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth (or veggie substitute)

Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Put in whole bag of frozen veggie crumbles, diced onion, and minced garlic in the skillet and saute until brown (6-10 minutes). Add in next 5 ingredients and saute for 1 minute. Stir in drained black beans, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated enough to your liking. Stir frequently.

Serve with your favorite toppings. I use light sour cream, low-fat shredded Mexican cheese, and corn chips or Baked Tostitos Scoops.


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment