Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Sunday, July 4, 2010

BBQ Chicken and Red Onion Pizza with Honey Teriyaki Marinade, Mozzarella and Smoked Gruyere Cheese on a Phyllo Dough Base

This is NOT the best picture, but you'll just have to trust me when I say that this pizza is SO flavorful and yummy! Maybe I can get a better picture the next time I make it.


Extra virgin olive oil (& a brush)
12 sheets thawed phyllo dough
~4 Tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 bottle Honey Teriyaki Marinade
(I use KC Masterpiece)
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
~2 Tbs grated smoked Gruyere cheese (or other smoked cheese)
~10 oz. roasted & pulled chicken
(I just buy the rotissere chickens from the deli at my grocery store for this)
1/2 red onion (sliced)

Preparing
Put down a large piece of wax paper on your working surface. Pour out about 1/2 a cup of EVOO into a shallow bowl. Follow the directions for the phyllo dough to keep it from drying out as you work. Your dough pieces should be 12x9, but you can cut them smaller if you like. Phyllo dough isn't the easiest thing to work with. Be gentle and patient with it. It's worth it!

Phyllo Dough Crust
Lay out a piece of phyllo dough on your wax paper. Brush it with EVOO, gently so it doesn't rip. Lay another piece of phyllo dough on top and brush it with EVOO. Do this a third time. Sprinkle with ~1 Tsp of Parmesan. Repeat this entire process until all twelve sheets have been brushed & layered, making sure to add Parmesan after every third sheet.

Toppings
Now brush top sheet with a good coating of Honey Teriyaki Marinade (you can also use barbecue sauce). Layer with mozzarella. Lay out your onion and chicken on top of the mozzarella so that it's evenly spread. Grate smoked cheese over the onion and chicken, then add a bit more mozzarella to your liking.
Bake at 400 for 25-27 minutes or until phyllo dough becomes crisp.
(Keep an eye on it! The phyllo dough may burn quickly in your oven.)

You can add ANY topping you want to this delicious phyllo dough pizza crust. Be creative!


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment