Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Cream Sauce

I normally make traditional enchiladas with canned enchilada sauce, but I saw this recipe in a magazine and thought they looked wonderful. I had never used tomatillos until I used them to make the sauce for this recipe. I have to say, they are not the most attractive things I've ever seen, but they sure did make a FABULOUS
sauce!





3 cups roasted, pulled chicken (I just used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store)
1 pkg. 90 sec. Spanish rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
1/2 can black beans, drained & rinsed (I use Bush's seasoned recipe black beans)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 (8 oz.) container light sour cream
1 (8 oz.) pkg. reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
12 (8-inch) low-carb, high fiber tortillas

Tomatillo Cream Sauce
1 (28 oz.) can tomatillos, drained
1 (14.5 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream

Spray 2 small or 1 large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together chicken, rice, beans, cream cheese, sour cream, shredded cheese, garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Mix will be thick, so make sure you get all the cream cheese mixed in there really well (it likes to hide in clumps within the other ingredients). You can just keep this mixture in the fridge until you're ready to roll the tortillas. To roll them, lay the tortillas flat, scoop about 3 large tablespoons of mixture onto one end. Carefully roll them up, fold ends in, and lay them side-by-side in your dish until it's fill end-to-end.
Pour tomatillo cream sauce (see directions below) generously over the tops of all the enchiladas. Top with a layer of shredded cheese, and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

How to make Tomatillo Cream Sauce
In a large skillet, combine tomatillos, broth, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. (I broke apart the tomatillos into smaller pieces for this part.) Remove from heat. Pour into a blender once it's cooled down a little and pulse mixture several times until it's smooth. Pour back into skillet, add whipping cream, and cook on low heat for ~2 minutes, stirring gently and continually.

I topped my enchiladas with sour cream and sliced green onions. This freshly made sauce topped the canned enchilada sauce I usually use! I'm so glad I wasn't afraid to use the tomatillos!


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment