Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Monday, July 5, 2010

Chicken Casserole

This is an old favorite in my house. Out of all the fancy dishes I try and make, this easy casserole is of my most requested meals. It just goes to show that no matter how expensive or technical a dish is, sometimes it just can't beat the good old fashion comfort foods!







1 rotisserie chicken (with meat removed and shredded)
1 yellow onion (diced)
1Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. margarine
(I use Promise)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 small jar of sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning
(I use McCormick's)
Herb-seasoned stuffing
(I use Pepperidge

Farms)

Low-fat shredded mild cheddar cheese

Heat margarine in a medium skillet and sautee onions, garlic, and sugar. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, mix the onions, chicken, soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning with a spoon until well-blended. Fold into a 8x8x2 casserole dish and even out with a spoon. Top with a layer of shredded cheese. Add a thin layer of dry stuffing. Then sprinkle another coating of shredded cheese on top (but not too much because it will end up burning). Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.


I served my chicken casserole with fresh corn on the cob with tomato-basil-garlic butter and steamed broccoli sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment