Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Vegan Tacos (with an Asian twist)

I love tacos.  They are fast, easy, and delicious!  Since my transition to a plant-based eating, I have been trying to get away from using meat-replacers, like the Morning Star Crumbles.  I still use them from time to time, but I was becoming a little too dependent on them and have been trying to find other options.  I found these great little ancient grain fusion packets in the Fresh Market that I tried for the first time with this recipe, and they were SO good!  I am going to try and make my own with my own grains and spices now that I see what a great addition this can be to so many recipes...like...maybe lasagna!! :)




Ingredients:
3 small soft tacos
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup water chestnuts
2 chopped button mushrooms
1 cup Mung bean sprouts
1 cup broccoli slaw
1 small handful of snow peas (snapped in half)
1/2 cup cilantro
1 packet of Southwestern Ancient Grain Fusion (Made in Nature brand from Fresh Market)
3-4 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (natural soy sauce alternative)
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil (or veggie broth/water if you don't use oils)
1 Tbsp plum sauce

Directions
1. Brown tacos on each side for about 1 minute per side in a small saucepan on medium-low heat.  I give the pan a light spray of coconut cooking spray before browning each taco, but you can brown them without it if you don't use oils or sprays. Arrange them in a bowl when they are browned and still warm. This helps them keep their shape, and they are easy to fill this way.  *See picture below
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the grapeseed oil. When it's heated, sautee the onions and bell pepper for about 2 minutes until softened.
3.  Add into the saucepan the remaining ingredients except the plum sauce and sautee for about 4-5 minutes until heated through and well-blended.
4.  Spoon mixture into each taco and dab a little plum sauce onto each taco, dividing out the 1 tablespoon.  If you've never had plum sauce before, it's very sweet, so you only need a little. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment