*This recipe is plant-based and uses no oil.
1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
1 yellow onion (peeled and diced)
2 stalks of celery (diced)
1 small fennel bulb (peeled, cored, and diced)
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and minced)
1 sprig of rosemary
3/4 cup lentils (rinsed)
1 cup chickpeas (Garbonzo beans)
1 bay leaf
3Tbsp tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste
8 red potatoes (chopped)
4 large parsnips (peeled and chopped)
1. In a large saucepan, sautee onion, carrot, celery, and fennel in a large saucepan over medium heat for ~10 minutes. Add water or veggie broth 1-2 tablespoons at a time to keep the veggies from sticking. If you are used to using oil to sautee with, just use your preferred cooking oil.
2. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Stir in rosemary, lentils, chickpeas, bay leaf, and enough water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook, covered for 30 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste to the pan and cook for another 15 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper, remove from heat, and discard the bay leaf and rosemary sprig.
6. Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
7. Meanwhile, in a large pot boil the potatoes and parsnips over medium heat for ~15-20 or until tender.
8. Remove from heat and drain all but ~ 1/2 cup of the water.
9. Mash the boiled potatoes and parsnips until smooth and creamy, adding salt and pepper to taste. 10. Spread the mixture over the lentils and veggies and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
|Cooked veggies, lentils, and chickpeas|
|Spreading the mashed parsnips and potatoes|
|Just before it goes into the oven|