Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Healthy Apple Crumble

This is another recipe that came out of the Eat This, Not That book. It's only 290 calories! You can't beat that for a yummy, homemade treat!

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
1/2 cup apple juice

4 Tbsp brown sugar
(halved)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
(halved)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
(halved)
1 cup rolled oats

pinch of salt

2 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp scoop of fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt or whipped cream


Combine apples, apple juice, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/8 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp nutmeg in a large bowl.


In a separate bowl, combine oats with remaining 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp nutmeg, plus a pinch of salt. Add the butter and work it into the mixture with your fingertips until it comes together in moist clumps. Divide the apples into 4 ramekins and top with oatmeal mixture. Bake on middle rack for around 25 minutes, until the apples are hot and bubbling, and the crumble has begun to brown. Let cool a little, then add your fat-free frozen yogurt or whipped cream on top.

Now, I'm not going to lie and say this is as good as the real thing your grandma makes, okay? BUT, since we're trying to be healthier, you really can't beat this version for only 290 calories.

The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup chopped almonds in the oats mixture, but I don't like nuts in my food, so I left them out. As always, I encourage you to play around with these recipes and make them your own!


Click this box to print this recipe!

1 comment: