Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Friday, March 25, 2016

Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs

These Easter eggs were all dyed with fruits, vegetables, and spices from my kitchen!! It's a fairly easy process, and it's fun and educational for kids.  I was most impressed with the vibrant yellow I got from the turmeric and curry mixture.  I have never gotten store-bought dye to work well when making yellow eggs.  These were SO colorful!

What You'll Need:
2 cans of sliced beets with juice for red/pink

2 Tbsp turmeric and 2 Tbsp curry powder for yellow

4 cups grape juice and 2-3 cups roughly cut purple cabbage for purple

1 head of broccoli and 1-2 cups of spinach leaves for green

White, distilled vinegar (8-12 Tbsp)


What To Do:
For red/pink, pour the 2 cans of beets with the juices into a small saucepan, add 2-3 Tbsp of vinegar, and boil for ~10-15 minutes.  Strain and then dye your eggs.

For yellow, add turmeric and curry powder to 2 cups of water with 2-3 Tbsp of vinegar and boil for ~5 minutes while stirring.  Do NOT strain.  Just put your eggs straight into after it's boiled. 

For purple, add the cabbage and 2-3 Tbsp of vinegar to the grape juice and boil for ~10-15 minutes. Strain and dye your eggs.

For green, add broccoli and spinach with 2-3 Tbsp of vinegar to 2 cups of water.  Boil for ~15 minutes, strain, and then dye your eggs. 

*For darker eggs, let them soak longer.  Another tip is to remove them, let them dry, and then dye them again in the same dye.  Repeat as necessary until you get the desired color.  

I decorated my eggs with ink stippling.  Fine Sharpie or Micron pens work best.




No comments:

Post a Comment