Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Friday, March 18, 2016

Homemade Steak Street Tacos

Street tacos may not be available where you live, but you can certainly make your own version of them!! They are also a bit healthier when you make them at home. I live in an area where we can't buy them on the street, and I was sad about that....so I figured out a way to make them myself.  :)




Ingredients:
2 small flour tortillas
coconut oil spray
0.5 pound skirt steak (chopped into bite-size pieces)
1/2 bell pepper (chopped - red, yellow, orange, or green)
1 cup chunky salsa 
1 packet fajita sauce
cilantro (chopped)
green onions (chopped)
pico de gallo (I used 1-2 Tbsp per taco)
1/4 cup low-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 Tbsp Mexican creama
grape seed oil

Directions:
Brown the tortillas in a pan on the stove over med-low heat by spraying the pan with a little coconut oil spray and browning each side for ~30 seconds.

Brown the steak (or chicken!) in a pan with a little grape seed oil.  

In a small bowl, mix together the fajita sauce, salsa, and chopped bell pepper. 

Once the steak is browned, add the fajita sauce, bell pepper, and salsa mixture.  ***You will only need about a 1/3 of this salsa mixture, so you will have some leftover for refrigerating and using again later OR dipping your tortilla chips in . Let simmer over med-low heat for ~5 minutes, stirring often.

Divide the mixture between the two tortillas.  Divide the cheese and creama between the two tacos, as well. Garnish with cilantro, green onion, and pico de gallo to taste.  

*If you can't get Mexican creama, you can always just use low-fat sour cream. :)

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment