Ever Evolving Food Blog
Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.
All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!
Friday, January 2, 2015
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
To start off the New Year, a lot of people eat black-eyed peas in some fashion or another. This recipe was given to me by my friend, Brandy. She served it at her New Year's Day Cookout, and it was fabulous!!! It is loaded with Vitamin C, protein, iron, and potassium. Yum!!!
1 (16 oz) bag of frozen black-eyed peas
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp grape seed oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced pineapple
2 cups lightly steamed, chopped kale
*makes 5 cups
1. Prepare black-eyed peas according to the directions on the package. Simmer only until al dente, drain, and let cool for 1 hour.
2. Whisk together cilantro and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add cooked black-eyed peas, bell pepper, and red onion, tossing to coat.
4. Cover and chill for 8 hours..
5. Add pineapple and kale into the mixture just before serving.
Nutritional Info for 1 cup:
Saturated fat: 0.42 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 4.18 g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.24g
Sodium: 32.9 mg
Fiber: 6.5 g
Protein: 9.34 g
Vitamin A: 96.5%
Vitamin C: 123.3%