Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Black-eyed Pea Salad (or dip if you over-cook the beans like I did)

I had never tried black-eyed peas before this, and I have to say that I was a little afraid.  I don't really know why I was afraid to try this particular legume, but I was.  The smell took me back to when I was little, running through my Great Granny Caraway's house.  *If you overcook your beans like I did, this still makes a fantastic dip!  (ha ha)











Ingredients:
2 cups cooked black-eyed peas or one 15 oz. can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes or one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups cooked corn or one 15 oz. can corn, drained
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp dried thyme, crushed
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp pepper

Cooking black-eyed peas:
1. Cover in 2 inches of cold water.  Boil for 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, cover, and let soak for 4 - 24 hours.
3. Drain soak water.  Cover with 2 inches of cold water and boil on low heat for 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
4. Drain and rinse several times with cold water until beans are cool.

Salad
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together black-eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, green onion.  
2. Cover and chill for several hours (I admit that I didn't do this step..... I couldn't wait "several hours")

Dressing:
1. In a screw-top jar, combine oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, thyme, mustard, and pepper.
2. Cover and shake well.
3. Chill dressing for several hours (again...I didn't wait "several hours".  I just broke the rules and put it straight on the salad.)
4.  Just before serving, shake dressing well and pour over the vegetable mixture.
5.  Toss gently to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment