Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Vegetable Stew

This is perfect for anyone on a plant-based diet! Finding killer recipes that are flavorful and filling is a must. This dish reminds me SO much of beef stew that I didn't miss the meat at ALL, which made me very, very happy!  I hope you enjoy it, as well.

*This recipe uses no oil.

*Substitute any veggies for others, and substitute  quinoa for brown or wild rice.



Ingredients:
1 cup dry lentils (let soak for 5 hours)
1/2 cup dry quinoa (cooked as directed and put aside)
1/2 large red onion (diced)
2 medium carrots (sliced)
1/2 medium eggplant (diced)
1 small zucchini (sliced and diced)
1 small yellow squash (sliced and diced)
10 small red potatoes (boiled and quartered)
32 oz. low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp celery salt
cracked pepper to taste

Directions
In a large saucepan, add all of the ingredients except the cooked quinoa.  Stir together well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer on low-med heat for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so.  You may have to add half a cup of water if the broth gets too low. Just keep and eye on it. 

Add the cooked quinoa, stir well, and let simmer for 15 minutes.  Serve hot and enjoy! :)

*You can add or take away any of the ingredients to make it your own.  I used to add turkey Kielbasa, so you could make it either way. 

#forksoverknives

No comments:

Post a Comment