Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Israeli Salad

This is a refreshing, clean alternative to traditional side dishes.  It has nothing but fresh vegetables, herbs, and quinoa, and it tastes amazing!  You would exchange or add veggies or even fruit if you like. I thought about adding strawberries, but I thought I would try it like this first. Yum!



Ingredients:
1 large, red bell pepper
1 large, orange bell pepper
1 large cucumber
1/2 large, red onion
1 large, ripe tomato
1 large lemon
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp chopped, fresh mint leaves (8-10 mint leaves)
1 cup (uncooked) quinoa


Directions: 
Prepare quinoa according to package directions (should be to boil 2 cups of water, add 1 cup quinoa, boil down on med-low heat for about 15 minutes, then let stand for another 15 minutes). 

Finely chop the peppers, cucumber, onion, and tomato and put into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Chop the cilantro and mint and gently stir into the veggies.  Add the cooled quinoa by gently mixing it into the veggies and herbs.  Add the zest and juice of one lemon, then gently stir into the mixture.

Serve on its own, as a side, or on top of your choice of protein. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment