Ever Evolving Food Blog

Hello Everyone! I have had this blog for years now, and as my personal life has changed, so have my tastes and eating habits...for the better!! I am now a fully plant-based eater, so my newer recipes will reflect this lifestyle and way of eating.

All of my old recipes will remain on my food blog, of course, so there will be a mixture of the old and the new for everyone to look through and choose. You can always play around with any recipe out there and make it your own, whether it's plant-based or not. There are always other options!
Thanks SO much for following! Happy Eating!

What's Cooking With Melissa

Don't Forget to Vote in the Latest Poll! -->

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Grilled Blue and Cream Cheese Sandwiches with Baked Pancetta on Rye Cocktail Bread

I got the cheesy part of this recipe from a Southern Living Magazine recipe (October 2008 issue). The rest, I just made to fit my tastes.

18 rye cocktail bread slices (found in the deli section of your grocery story)
Pancetta (9 slices)
1 (8 oz.) package reduced fat cream cheese
1 (4 oz.) container blue cheese
1 Tbsp honey
red onion (thinly sliced)
lettuce

Pancetta
Place pancetta slices on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes. Drain and cool on a stack of paper towels. If you would rather use thick bacon strips instead, bake them the same way at 425 for 15-20 minutes.

Cheesy Spread
In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, blue cheese, and honey until well blended. It's hard to stir, so make sure you really put your elbow into it. You will have some of this cheesy spread left over. I just wrap mine up and use it on sandwiches, bagels, and croissants for the next few days. Yum!

Sandwiches
Spread one side of each bread slice with the cheesy spread(I lay them out 2-by-2 because you are making 9 mini-sandwiches). Lay once piece of baked pancetta and some red onion slices on 9 of the bread slices. Top with another of your cheese-spread slices of bread. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Grill the sandwiches as you would a grilled cheese sandwich (I use Promise). I usually grill 2 at a time. When you take them out of the skillet, let them drain and cool on a stack of paper towels. The 'lids' are easy to take off and add lettuce if you want after the sandwiches are grilled.

These were originally supposed to be made using apple slices and arugula, but I didn't like the way they tasted, so I replaced the apple with pancetta. I've also used ham and turkey, which were equally as good. Just make it your own!


Click this box to print this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment